Are you an self-starting, organized designer looking to join a small creative agency in Richmond? Let’s talk.
Raison is a Richmond, VA branding and marketing boutique and we are looking for a full-time graphic designer.
While a natural design eye and software skills are an obvious must, we are a small team, which means you will get exposure to more than just design work. Our designers are uniquely empowered to work directly with clients, which means we need a team player who knows how to (and enjoys!) keeping projects organized and timelines on track, while juggling the more ‘standard’ duties of a graphic designer.
Even though we are small, we offer plenty of support and tons of upward mobility, whether through hands-on experience, dedicated training time during the week, or direct mentorship from the owner. Ultimately, a small company like ours thrives with people interested and invested in making an impact, and sticking around for the long-term, so we are not looking for someone interested in changing jobs just for a salary bump. This position offers plenty of opportunity to grow and learn; and potentially move to a full-blown partnership.
If you like paving your own path, always having your voice heard, and 4pm Friday Happy Hours, and don’t like bureaucracy or monotony you will love working here.
Strong knowledge and experience in the following Adobe software is a base requirement of this job.
Other Required Skills and Experience
- The ability to create project schedules and then hold internal teams and clients accountable for adhering to the timelines. Also, the ability to weather sudden changes to scope, schedule and direction in stride, making adjustments to timeline, expectations, and deliverables as needed to meet the bottom-line client goals. While you will be guided and taught on the job, having a base level of organizational and communications skills, and an interest in learning and getting better in this area, is required.
- The ability to not just follow strict creative direction and instructions from clients and internal art directors, but creatively tackle big picture problems and propose meaningful solutions — while balancing the underlying scope constraints of the project and task at hand. At the same time, the ability to know when a certain project does require simple order-taking and isn’t appropriate for freeflowing creative exercises.
- Basic customer service skills.
- Production expertise and experience — preparing and setting up files for print; coordinating with printers; reviewing and signing off on production proofs.
Preferred Skills and Traits We Are Looking For
- Experience leading creative design processes — managing one or more designers to follow through with established styles to create new materials, while meeting hours and schedule deadlines.
- A knack for technical problem solving and research. We work in a fast-changing industry and the person in this role must be able to effectively research strongsolutions to problems, while sifting through the inevitable junk solutions and traps.
- Always looking for the next design trend and the next technical solution to age-old problems; being open and driven enough to implementing change in our work and within our company.
Software Skills Enjoyed
- WordPress Design and CMS Management, especially designing and developing pages and content directly in WordPress
- Sketch or similar web design software
- Google Suite, especially Docs and Slides templates
- Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and PowerPoint templates
- Social media skills — from account set up and management to graphic and content creation
We love all people, but we especially value those who are:
- Hard working
- Honest and positive
- Invested in the long-term
- Self-sufficient: not afraid to ask for help, but willing to search for solutions first.
If you are interested, please reply with your resume and links or PDFs of sample work. We may also request raw files of your work. If you have any salary requirements, please let us know. A cover letter is optional but appreciated.
Job Type: Full-time
- graphic design: 2 years (Required)
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts